If you are a current UCSB undergraduate student interested in gaining earth system science research experience, send me an e-mail. We can talk about potential projects and find an opportunity that would interest you. Potential funding opportunities include:
We’re always looking for new group members with diverse perspectives, rigorous quantitative preparation, and strong motivation for pursuing innovative resesarch. Prospective students wishing to pursue a PhD in the WAVES Lab should contact Kelly (email@example.com). Please include a brief statement of your interests and a pdf of your CV. Students should apply to either PhD program in the Department of Geography or the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management. The deadline for both programs is mid-December. In order to facilitate the evaluation process, it is important to mention that you are interested in working with me on your application and in your research statement.
Prospective and current students are strongly encouraged to apply for national fellowships. Some opportunities include:
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowships, due annually in October.
- Smithsonian Research Fellowships, due annually on Dec 1, or Jan 15.
- NASA Earth System Science Fellowships, due annually in February.
- Switzer Fellowships, Annual call released in October.
- Fulbright Fellowships, due annually in early October
- NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Awards, no deadline; applications accepted anytime.
While there are no funded postdoctoral opportunties in the lab right now, if you are interested in joining our group, please reach out. We are always happy to help you apply for competitive national felllowships, including but not limited to:
- NSF Earth Science Postdoctoral Fellowships, due annually in October.
- NOAA Climate and Global Change Fellowships, due annually in April.
- L’Oreal USA for Women in Science Fellowship, due annually in February.
- University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program, due annually on November 1.
- Coming Soon: UC Santa Barbara Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
If you think our group and your background would be a good fit, please email a CV and description of your research interests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We generally don’t have funding for visitors. However, if you are a self-funded graduate student, or funded researcher interested in visiting our group for a short (or long!) stay, send me an e-mail. Please include a statement of research and information about your visit’s objectives and potential/confirmed means of support during your stay.
Finally, if you are a high school student, a K-12 educator, or an undergraduate student at another University interested in summer research opportunities in our lab, please e-mail. With sufficient lead time, we may be able to secure funding to allow you to get involved in our research.